What should I do if I am arrested and detectives want to talk?

If I am innocent and have been arrested for a crime should I talk to the detectives and explain to them that I was not involved?

NO. It is never a good idea to talk to detectives or any police agent without an attorney. You have the right to remain silent and you should always assert that right. Remember that it is very rare that the police will let you go just because they hear your side of the story. In all likely hood the reason they are questioning you is to get you to incriminate yourself or say something that they can use against you in the future. The best thing to do if you are being questioned by police is ask for a Philadelphia criminal defense lawyer. The law requires that after you ask for an attorney the questioning must stop and you are to be provided with an attorney prior to the questioning starting up again.

Labels: , , , ,