Expungement Legislation Update

I am writing this brief note to update all of the readers on my previously posted articles on PA's new expungement law, but I cannot find the citation as it is only a couple of days old. Apparently, on Wednesday, the House sent a bill to Governor Rendell that he will apparently sign, to allow expungements for many summary offense. There would be a five year waiting period, the District Attorney could object, and the Judge makes the final decision.

Because I haven't read the actual text of the bill, I cannot comment on whether a Magisterial Judicial District Judge could order the expungement or whether all expungements must still go through the Court of Common Pleas. I will post the full text when it becomes available and address all of the previous questions on expungements and if my answer would now change.

Labels: